Label of the Parts
(This image is licienced under GDFL. The source file can be obtained from wikipedia.org)
Range and Accuracy
The range of a micrometer is 0-25mm.
The accuracy of a micrometer is up to 0.01mm.
How to Use a Micrometer?
- Turn the thimble until the object is gripped gently between the anvil and spindle.
- Turn the ratchet knob until a "click" sound is heard. This is to prevent exerting too much pressure on the object measured.
- Take the reading.
How to Read the Reading?
Reading = Reading of main scale + Reading of thimble scale.
Reading of main scale = 0 - 25 mm
Reading of thimble scale = 0 - 0.49mm
(This image is licensed under GDFL. The source file can be obtained from wikipedia.org.)Reading of main scale = 5.5mm
Reading of thimble scale = 0.28mm
Actual Reading = 5.5mm + 0.28mm = 5.78mm
- The spindle and anvil are cleaned with a tissue or cloth, so that any dirt present will not be measured.
- The thimble must be tightened until the first click is heard.
- The zero error is recorded.
SHAW : micrometer (Java Applet)
The Micrometer - Upscale.Utoronto.ca